To develop an examination to fairly test knowledge of the material one would be expected to have learned and retained as reflected in the medical acupuncture core curriculum and administer the examination process.
The Committee shall consist of at least 5 individuals appointed by the Chairman of the ABMA. One shall serve as Chairman and shall direct the activities of the committee in meeting its purposes. Members of the committee should ideally be individuals who have successfully challenged the examination.
Scope of Work/Ongoing Goals
- Develop and maintain an examination that fairly assesses the extent of medical acupuncture knowledge one would expect an appropriately educated physician acupuncturist to possess as reflected in the medical acupuncture core curriculum.
- Develop an ongoing process to update, revise and refine the examination to reflect recent experience.
- Develop procedures to assure that the examination is a fair and appropriate test of what a qualified physician should know based on such psychometric testing principles and testing procedures as may be appropriate.
- Document the current processes in place for all functions of the committee including (1) developing questions to be added and questions to be removed, (2) for proctoring and administering the exam, (3) for grading and determining pass-fail, and (4) for all other activities of the Committee and staff.
- Schedule two or more offerings each year, or such number as necessary, to appropriately serve the market.
- Prepare a background paper for consideration which outlines the steps and processes necessary, including likely costs, to obtain independent validation of the examination.
- Conduct a survey of those who have taken the examination to obtain suggestions regarding the strengths and weaknesses of the examination and the examination process.
Guidelines and Policies
The Chairman shall submit written status reports for all meetings of the Committee to the ABMA Board of Directors.